What is the likelihood that you would ever be Vegan?

Search This Blog

Monday, March 30, 2009

Fear spoils freedom’s promise- first post spring qtr

I would say the most pressing communication justice issues currently are freedom of speech issues that have to do with voicing opinions about sexual orientation, funerals of soldiers and "ownership" of opinions on blogs. However, what I rank as important or in need of attention is very different from what other other people would say is important. No matter how disturbed or passionate I am about a certain issue, I am aware that I am constantly respecting the opinions of others.

Because of my experience and moral guidelines, I value certain issues that others do not. For example, in class today, Jordan and I were discussing which settings/situations should be allowed freedom of speech. Jordan thought that picketting at a funeral should be allowed but I disagreed. Because it attacks one's character (an issue of slander/libel) than that person should be protected, even after death. Furthermore, because I hold funerals to be very sacred and personal, I don't think picketters should be allowed at them. In the same way, I would not allow picketters at a wedding or any other socially sacred ritual.

Because Jordan thought that picketters should be allowed, he may be telling me that he does not value funerals the same way I do. What is interesting about the issues of communication justice is that they are always changing. What we talk about right now and what we deem as important may change in a few days from now- and it will drastically change a few years from now. Because of this, communication justice issues are always evolving, making it a truly intriguing issue to discuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment