What is the likelihood that you would ever be Vegan?

Search This Blog

Thursday, March 5, 2009

GETA: Gabby for the Ethical Treatment of Animals

After watching a few PETA videos on the ethical treatment of mice, chickens, dogs and cats, many people are frustrated and offended; "PETA went too far... where are they getting their sources from? This can't be credible," I heard one girl say. I just shook my head. How are people so ignorant of the world around them? As I watched the ABC or Animal Birth Control video, I started to cry. So I turned it off. I tried watching the McCruelty video and only lasted about 7 seconds, so I attempted to watch the video on mice and rats. I couldn't get more than 10 seconds into that one either. The images of homeless animals around the nation are not offensive, they are realistic. For this same reason, I could not watch Passion of the Christ (which may only be "reality" for us Christians) and to this day, I cannot watch a commercial that portrays poverty stricken children in third world countries. It is so emotionally heart wrenching for me to watch any creature in pain, I physically can't do it. Anyone who second guesses PETA and their motives, is living in the bliss of complete ignorance and I have no respect for them. I am fully aware of my concrete set of values, which includes a strong commitment to animal and human rights. I also know this affects the way I interpret videos from PETA as well as many other animal rights organizations. I understand that. What I don't understand is why no one else in this class feels the way I do about the issue. Why doesn't anyone else care? One man (I hesitate to call him a man) said that because animals and humans are "on different levels" its not fair to compare a woman being raped to a female animal in heat, taken over by another animal (which to me, seems pretty darn close to rape.) I can't even raise my hand in class, because I know I'll start to cry. PETA is not offensive or irrational. They are only using real images, real footage and real animals to make a point: animals should be treated better than they are currently. 

No comments:

Post a Comment